We have had an onslaught of visitors from last Saturday through today…which is only part of my reasoning behind the sparse blog posting. The other reasons are…oh, life and how it just tends to get busy and filled with things to do.
At any rate, we had a visit from grad school buddy Vanessa, who drove all the way from Chicago to meet Simon for the first time last weekend. She brought him a GREAT book (that we didn’t have) Today I Will Fly! by Mo Willems. We had a lovely weekend of casual adult beverages, snuggling Simon and encouraging his new favorite pasttime- attempting to crawl.
Then on Monday morning she left, and I worked Monday and Tuesday evenings, and then my mom and dad arrived Wednesday for the day. The four of us headed up to Easton and had a nice lunch at Brio and my mom bought me a new pair of sensible summer shoes to wear at work. Then my mom watched Simon while Gabe and I got a mini-date night at Jimmy V’s. (Mmmmmmm. Greek food.)
Then Thursday evening my best friend from high school Dee came to town and we had a great time playing with Simon and good ol’ Lisa Ayers who came over both nights to laugh with us and reminisce. Dee just left this morning (after getting to go to breakfast with Lisa, Gabe and Simon– while I headed to work).
And this week proves to be a doozy as well. I have a work week riddled with meetings and my comp day for working Sunday (tomorrow) isn’t until Thursday…one of the days that I have the expensive sitter, so we’re out fifty bucks (boo!) because I pay her even when he’s not there.
But some new and funny things Simon’s been doing:
- When we bring him into our bed or try to lay down with him he grabs at your hair and face as if to say, “Open your eyes!!!! Wake up!!!”
- He imitates a fake laugh, “Hahahaha” and “Hohohoho” it’s pretty funny.
- He will annihilate an orange in one of those weird mesh-sack things we have. Most people/books, etc. say to avoid citrus fruits until they’re older, but he LOVES to suck the juice out of the orange in those things. He grunts with pure joy when I give it to him.
- He is most definitely mobile- and is easily side-tracked by cords. He loves cords. This could be a problem. We have one cable cord that goes through our floor and he likes to pull it out bit by bit….to chew on it of course.
- In his spare time, he enjoys licking the dirty metal furnace grates on the floor
- He can get MAD- shrieking mad, if you do not feed him fast enough. If he’s even remotely hungry (instead of me anticipating that he MIGHT get hungry soon and preemptively feeding him) he will demand the bottle first (before the food) because we can literally dump it into him faster than we can shovel food into his pie-hole.
- We have witnessed his trick: going from belly to sitting up and it is amazing. It is also terrifying to see him sitting up in his crib. We’re lowering the mattress to the lowest rung today, because I’m convinced he’s going to pull himself up soon.